World

Methane leak-triggered explosion in Iran coal mine kills 19, says state TV | World News

coal mine, Gevra Coal Mine, Kusmunda Coal Mine

Authorities were sending emergency personnel to the area after the blast. | Representational


A methane leak sparked an explosion at a coal mine in eastern Iran, killing at least 19 people and injuring another 17, Iranian state television reported Sunday.


The report said the deaths happened at a coal mine in Tabas, some 540 kilometers (335 miles) southeast of the capital, Tehran.


Authorities were sending emergency personnel to the area after the blast late Saturday, it said. Around 70 people had been working there at the time of the blast.


Oil-producing Iran is also rich in a variety of minerals. Iran annually consumes some 3.5 million tons of coal but only extracts about 1.8 million tons from its mines per year. The rest is imported, often consumed in the country’s steel mills.

 


This is not the first disaster to strike Iran’s mining industry. In 2013, 11 workers were killed in two separate mining incidents. In 2009, 20 workers were killed in several incidents. In 2017, a coal mine explosion killed at least 42 people.


Lax safety standards and inadequate emergency services in mining areas are often blamed for the fatalities.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sep 22 2024 | 11:26 AM IST

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button